THE VACANT STOOL OF ADEBORUWA OF IGBOGBO: IJAOLU OSHO-OJUBA’S PLACE IN HISTORY AND WHY WE ARE THE ORIGINAL RULING HOUSE IN THE 1957 DECLARATION
BRIEF HISTORY OF OUR ANCESTOR, OBA OSHO-OJUBA
Osho –Ojuba, the ancestor of Ijaolu was at various times, the BALOGUN, ARO and then Oba of Igbogbo. He was a famous warrior and an herbalist. He was the BALOGUN of Igbogbo land who fought in the Agbala war (Ikorodu) in 1864. This was between the Egba warriors led by Chief Ogundipe and warrior from Ikorodu and it’s environ.
Elegure: means Oba in time by memorial. It is the Elegure who led Ikorodu that sent for Igbogbo warrior which was led by Balogun Osho-Ojuba that led the war. Those who were with him were the then Balogun of Ikorodu. Balogun Ajako and Chief Aina Atere who was Asipa Asiwaju was Balogun Osho-Ojuba second in command from Igbogbo.
Balogun Osho-Ojuba normally had his hair plaited backwards (suku) for him by the Sango worshippers whenever he was going to war but always had it in the middle of his head while at home. According to Oral tradition, nobody knows when they normally plait his hair. Balogun Osho-Ojuba did not only went to the Egba war but came back victorious with Egba warrior’s war staff (OPAGUN). This indicated that he actually won the war, unfortunately, his colleagues, Balogun Ajako & Aina Atere did not make it back from the war. It was after the war that Balogun Jaiyesimi requested for the Egba’s war staff which Osho-Ojuba gave to him because the staff required human sacrifice.
Balogun Osho-Ojuba was also of the opinion that Igbogbo was too small and he could not keep the war staff. As a result of this, a social club in Igbogbo called Egbe Ifelodun led by Lase, Asamu, Megida, Solawon and others to mention a few composed a song:
Opo eniyan loro oju ogun lojo yen o
won gbopa Osho-Ojuba olori ogun
Ikorodu sowa dega
won gbopa Osho-Ojuba olori Ogun
Many warriors went to Ikorodu-Egba war
The Egba’s war staff was collected from Gen. Osho-Ojuba
Ikorodu though we are fools
They retrieved the Egba’s war staff from Osho-Ojuba.
The club members felt that Ikorodu did not see Igbogbo as equal partner in the war and more importantly, took Igbogbo for granted for requesting for the captured war staff.
In 1892, there was another war called the Ijebu war, again, Balogun Osho-Ojuba being a brave warrior was called upon by Ikorodu to join them in the war. He returned victorious and was conferred with the title Aro of Igbogbo. His war exploits made him known throughout Ikorodu and was also very prominent among Egba and Ijebus. During this period that Osho-Ojuba was the Balogun/Aro of Igbogbo, Oba Kashimawo was also on throne as OBA of Igbogbo, Chief Shodehinde Jagbe as Olisa, Chief Dada Oju-Ile as Odofin and Chief Paseda as Alase.
After the death of Oba Kashimawo, the Council of Chiefs and other stakeholders met and decided to consult Ifa oracle. Thereafter the consultation, the oracle picked Balogun/Aro Osho-Ojuba. His Ijaolu connection and popularity made him accepted by all people as there was no opposition to his emergence.
Oba Osho-Ojuba reigned from 1904-1934 as Oba of Igbogbo. He used his bravery and wisdom to create peace and unity among all the families in Igbogbo. He settled so many cases within families examples are Ololo village under the Igbogbo jurisdiction.
He did not only stood in the land matter in Court between Igbogbo and Baiyeku between 1922-1929 but won the case due to his commitment and dedication. Those who joined Oba Osho-Ojuba in the case are Kuti, Orefuwa families and few others.
Till date the land matters he instituted and won for Igbogbo has been a reference point.
BRIEF HISTORY OF IJAOLU-OSHO-OJUBA
OGUNRINMADE begot three children namely:
Our ancestors came from Ile-Ife, precisely, the IREMO QUARTERS and from there to EPE QUARTERS in SHAGAMU. OSHINBOKUREN and IJAOLU migrated from Epe, Sagamu without the consent of their father. When they reached a new place now called Ewu-Oliwo, IJAOLU stayed there while OSHINBOKUREN moved to ITUNLA ward in Igbogbo. It was later that IJAOLU joined his brother at Igbogbo. He farmed at Ewu-Oluwo and stayed at Igbogbo. IJAOLU was a brave herbalist and hunter. It was later that their father searched for them and realized that they were in the out skirts of Shagamu. He then traced them down to Igbogbo and met them there. He was so happy to meet them. When he was leaving Igbogbo, he gave them breaded crown (Ade Ishemoye), staff of office (Opa Ase) and the sword (Ida) which Osho-Ojuba used whenever there was war. All these he gave to them so that people around them will see the symbol of royalty in them.
IJAOLU begot ODUMBO. Odumbo begot OLUWO SHOTUYO, Oluwo Shotuyo begot OSHO-OJUBA
Osho-Ojuba begot six children namely:
2. AGBEMAMI OLUSANYA
Past Elegures, Olojas and Obas in Igbogbo Kingdom
Oba’s Names Years of Reign Ruling House
OBA OSHINBOKUREN OSHINBOKUREN ruling house
OBA OLUOSI OSHINBOKUREN ruling house
OBA GBADEBO AKOGUN OSHINBOKUREN ruling house
OBA OLUGANNA OLUJONWO OSHINBOKUREN ruling house
OBA KASHIMAWO 18– – 1904 RADEMO ruling house
OBA OSHO OJUBA 1904 – 1931 IJAOLU ruling house
OBA BANJOKO 1932 – 1936 OSHINBOKUREN ruling house
OBA BANMOSU 1937 – 1939 RADEMO ruling house
OBA FESTUS OMOLAJA OGUNLEWE 1940 – 1975 FADUGBA ruling house
OBA JOSEPH ODUGBOSE 1975 – 1977 AYAN FOLU ruling house
OBA JOHNSON OLATUNJI FATOLA 1975 – 2015 RADEMO ruling house
1. OBA OSHINBOKUREN was then known as ELEGURE by the time he ruled as the Oba of Igbogbo land
2. OBA OLUOSI became ELEGURE after the death of Oshinbokuren. He was one of the children of Oshinbokuren.
3. OBA GBADEBO AKOGUN came to the throne after the death of his brother Oluosi. Gbadebo Akogun is also one of the Oshinbokuren children. Some of his descendants are called FAMADE Family in Itun-Nla wards of Igbogbo.
4. OBA OGUNLANA OLUJONWO became the next king after the death of his brother, Gbadebo Akogun. He was also a son of of Oshinbokuren. Oba Ogunlana Olujonwo begot OKUJUMO, who married AYANFOLU. OKUJUMO begot two children for Ayanfolu namely OKUWOBI and OSHIN.
5. OBA KASHIMAWO mounted the throne after the death of Oba Ogunlana Olujonwo, Oba Kashimawo became the king in 18– and died in 1904. He was the son of FUNBIMKE, the daughter of ADEBOWALE (Adebowale was the son of SODE, while Sode was the daughter of OSHINBOKUREN). Funbimke the grand child of SODE married RADEMO and begot two children namely-KASHIMAWO and KOSUGBE.
6. OBA OSHO – OJUBA became the next king after the death of Kashimawo in 1904 and died 1931. OBA Osho – Ojuba is from IJAOLU ruling house, Igbogbo. Osho – Ojuba is the great grand-child of Ijaolu. Ijaolu was junior brother to OGUNSONA and OSHINBOKUREN from the same father OGUNREMADE.
Oba Osho – Ojuba was first installed as the BALOGUN of Igbogbo. He fought the war of IKORODU and its environs in 1864 against EGBA, and also IJEBU war in 1892. Later then installed as ARO of Igbogbo after the death of Oba Kashimawo. His tenure has no comparism according to the history of Obas in Igbogbo town. He won many landmark cases for Igbogbo Community i.e. the much referenced Igbogbo vs. Baiyeku.
7. OBA BANJOKO, became Oba of Igbogbo after the death of Oba Osho – Ojuba. OBA Banjoko was the king between 1932 and 1936. He was the grandchild of OSHINBOKUREN. His father’s name was EFUSERI (Efuseri is one of Oshinbokuren’s children who begot BANJOKO and AWOTUNDE). Their mother was from EWU- ELEPE and begot MELOLU from them at EWU ELEPE. Melolu begot EBUDOLA (Iya Kalejaye) IYA ABESUKALE, IYA SOBERU and IYA ABEL ABU. Melolu is not from Igbogbo, he is from EWU ELEPE. It is only his two senior brothers that are from Igbogbo, they are the children of EFUSERI, EFUSERI the second son of Oshinbokuren.
8. OBA BANMOSU came after the death of OBA Banjoko. He was the great grandchild of Oshinbokunren, from RADEMO ruling house and some of his children are FANUGA and JEMBI.
9. OBA FESTUS OGUNLANA OGUNLEWE on throne after the death of Oba Bamosu. Being an Oba with good education, great influence and well -connected especially with the political class, his Obaship reign brought tremendous development to Igbogbo. He was one of the chieftain of the Western Nigeria House of Chiefs. His reign also gave Igbogbo the only Chieftaincy Declaration of 1957 which created four ruling houses:
• FADUGBA ruling house
• AYANFOLU ruling house
• RADEMO ruling house
• IJAOLU ruling house
Oba Festus Ogunlewe was from OGUNSONA descendant family of (Ogunsona was the son of OGUNREMADE). He reigned between 1940 and 1975.
10. OBA JOSEPH ODUGBOSE was from AYANFOLU ruling house. He succeeded OBA F. Ogunlewe and his tenure was a short one 1975 to 1977.
11. OBA JOHNSON OLATUNJI FATOLA came after OBA Odugbose. There are so many contradictions and conflicts before and during his emergence as Adeboruwa of Igbogbo in 1979. He joined his ancestors n July, 2015.
WHO IS THE NEXT KING OF IGBOGBO AFTER OBA FATOLA?
This question is for all indigenes and residents of IGBOGBO to answer faithfully and conscientiously if we don’t want another contradiction and conflict to happen in our town.
- Posted in: Uncategorized