LASPOTECH Graduates 8,519, Plans N5b Endowment Fund
-To confer Fellowship Awards on Ooni, Ayangbure, Aladekomo
A total of 8517 students will be graduating from Full and Part-Time Programmes in the 2016 Convocation of Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH), Ikorodu.
The Rector, Mr Samuel Olayinka Sogunro, who stated this during the pre-Convocation Press Conference held on Thursday, March 31, 2016 at LASPOTECH Library Press Resource Centre, Ikorodu, also added that N5billion Endowment Funds will also be part of this year Convocation tagged, “Poised for a brighter future.”
According to the Rector, Fellowship awards will also be conferred on His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, the Ooni of Ife, His Royal Majesty Oba Kabiru Adewale Shotobi, the Ayangbure of Ikorodu and former Managing Director Chams PLC, Engr. (Sir) Ademola Benjmin Aladekomo.
“The funds to be raised will be committed to the infrastructural development and research projects as highlighted below: infrastructural projects, administrative building, medical centre, fire sub-station, student hall of residence and resort centre”
In the area of research, the institution intends to focus on Biomass to Power Project 250w, intelligent Traffic Light Control System and Domestic Bio-Gas Digester (Renewable Energy).
The breakdown of the graduands in term of performance is distinction 263, upper credit 1317, lower credit 5,629 and pass 1,310.
Below is the text of the address:
RECTOR’S PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESS AT THE LAGOS STATE POLYTECHNIC 24TH CONVOCATION PRESS CONFERENCE, THURSDAY, APRIL 7, 2016.
Principal Officers of the Polytechnic, Dean and Director of Schools, gentlemen of the press,friends of the Polytechnic, ladies and gentlemen.
I welcome you all to the 24th Convocation Press Conference of the Lagos State Polytechnic. This year Convocation tagged “Poised for a Brighter Future” includes Launching of N5,000,000,000 (Five Billion Naira) Endowment Funds and Conferment of the Polytechnic’s Fellowship Award on the following distinguished Nigerians:
- His Imperial Majesty Oba AdeyeyeEnitanOgunwusi, TheOoni of Ife,Ojaja II
- TheAyangbure of Ikorodu, His Royal Majesty Oba KabiruAdewaleShotobi
iii. Engr.(Sir)AdemolaBenjamin Aladekomo, former Group Managing Director
The Endowment Fund is to facilitate the actualization of the Polytechnic’s vision of excellence. The Polytechnic has attained an enviable ranking as one of the five (5) topmost Polytechnics in Nigeria. It is the desire of the Polytechnic to ensure that the Institution becomes a renowned global tertiary institution.
The funds to be raised will be committed to Infrastructural Development and Research Projects as highlighted below:
- Infrastructural Projects
- Administrative Building
- Medical Centre
- Fire Sub-Station
- Student Hall of Residence
- Resort Centre
- Research Projects
- Biomass to power project 250w
- Intelligent Traffic Light Control System
- Domestic Bio-Gas Digester (Renewable Energy)
As you are all aware, the Polytechnic was formerly known as the Lagos State College of Science and Technology (LASCOTECH) and was established by the promulgation of Lagos State edict No. I of 1978 with retroactive effect from June 1, 1977.
In 1986, the State Government changed the name of the Institution to Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH). However, the law that provides for the Lagos State Polytechnic, with its powers &functions and general administration was reviewed and enacted in September year 2012.
The Management over the past thirty eight (38) years has invested a lot in its human capacity building through training and retraining of Staff with the support of Lagos State Government, the Tertiary Education Trustfund (TETFund) and other Agencies.
I wish to mention here that the Institution which commenced lectures in 1978 with 287 students in five departments currently has a student population of about 25, 250 students running 66 Accredited Programmes both at National Diploma and Higher National Diploma levelsacross seven (7) Schools namely:Agriculture, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Management and Business Studies, Technology, Pure and Applied Scienceas well as Communication and Liberal Studies.
To broaden our reach, we are always willing to collaborate with organizations and individuals that are committed to excellence in education, research and service.
We currently collaborate and enjoy support from African Network of Scientific and Technological Institution (ANSTI), National Automotive Council (NAC), which is about to complete the construction of an Automotive Emission Testing Centre worth over one billion naira on the Ikorodu Campus. We also collaborate with South Korean Government for training of our staff on technical and vocational education. It is noteworthy that collaboration exist between the polytechnic and the Israeli Government, National Planning Commission (NPC), Tertiary Education Trust Fund(TETFund), National Information Technology Development (NITDA), Petroleum Trust Development Fund (PTDF) and Commonwealth Association of Polytechnic in Africa (CAPA) on Staff Training Research and Development.
Since the present administration came on board in June 2015, we have recorded the following achievements:
- Collaboration with the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria (ISPON) to run the programmes of the Institute in the Polytechnic and award Professional Certificates in conjunction with ISPON. It is hoped that students who undertake this programme would help to consolidate the work being done by the Lagos State Safety Commission. Presently application forms are on sales.
- Commencement of ND Mechatronics in the School of Engineering and Statistics in School of Pure and Applied Science in the on-going 2015/2016 academic session. These programmes were started with a view to producing graduates capable of handling modern automobiles of today.
- Completion of Years 2012/2013 (Merged) TETFund Library Intervention Projects in the Polytechnic, thus improving the digital status of the Polytechnic Library.
- Sponsorship of Eleven (11 Nos.) Staff to both local and International conferences, seminars and workshops through TETFund.
- Acquisition of Water Space and Two (2No.) hectares of farm land at Agbowa.
- Sponsorship of two (2 Nos.) members Academic Staff to South-Korea for Technical and Vocational Training by South-Korea Government.
- Sponsorship of Eight (8 Nos.) Academic Staff for both Local and Overseas studies through TETFund.
- Sponsorship of six (6 Nos.) Academic manuscripts / books publication development.
- Sponsorship of the LASPOTECH Journal of Technology through TETFund
- Commercialization of LASPOTECH Bakery with modern facilities.
- Streaming of all Polytechnic’s Part-Time Programmes to run for 6 Semesters within 2 Calendar years with effect from 2015/2016 academic session.
- Timely processing and release of students’ results.
- Maintenance of peace on the Campuses of the Polytechnic. In fact, we are reckoned as the most peaceful tertiary institution in the State.
- Constitution of a Grant Proposal Writing Team in the Polytechnic. The Grant Writing Team is expected to draw grant from various sources across the globe to augment the subvention from the State Government.
Above all, our students came second in the last West Africa polytechnics Games (WAPOGA), held in Accra, Ghana in 2015 with just one bronze medal behind the host Polytechnic.
Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to inform you that the Lagos State Polytechnic will be graduating a total number of 8,519 (eight thousand five hundred and nineteen) students this session (Full-Time and Part-Time).
BREAKDOWN OF GRADUANDS
|DEPARTMENT||DISTINCTION||UPPER CREDIT||LOWER CREDIT||PASS||TOTAL|
|Higher National Diploma||71||206||580||73||930|
|B. SCHOOL OF PART-TIME STUDIES*|
|Higher National Diploma||29||219||874||140||1262|
|C. SCHOOL OF PART-TIME STUDIES**|
|Higher National Diploma||02||40||144||35||221|
|D. SCHOOL OF PART-TIME STUDIES***|
|E. SCHOOL OF PART-TIME STUDIES****|
I am equally happy to state that all graduating students will go home with their certificates immediately after the ConvocationCeremony; the Certificates are fully ready for collection.
At this juncture, let me acquaint you with the 24th Convocation programmes.
There will be a special prayer for graduands on Thursday, March 31, 2016 by 12:00noon at the School of Agriculture Auditorium and the Convocation Jumat Service will hold on Friday, April 1, 2016 at the Ikorodu Campus Mosque.
The 24th Convocation Dinner/Variety Show by the Lagos State Polytechnic Performing Troupe (LASPET) will hold on Sunday, April 3, 2016 at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Ikeja by 5:00pm.
Monday, April 4, 2016 has been scheduled for Students Programme and Convocation Football Match at the Ikorodu Football Field.
The 24th Convocation Lecture will hold on Tuesday, April 5, 2016 by 12:00noon at the School of Agriculture Auditorium, Ikorodu Campus. The theme of the Lecture is “Funding Challenge in Tertiary Institution: The Way Forward” to be delivered by Professor AbubakarMomoh, Director-General, The Electoral Institute (TEI), Abuja.
The Convocation Ceremony proper comes up on Thursday, April 7, 2016 by 10:00am prompt at the Convocation Grounds on Ikorodu Campus.
I use this medium to congratulate all graduands whose academic achievement is being celebrated and I advise them to make good use of the virtues the Polytechnic has imparted into them.
Once again, accept my congratulations.
I thank you all for your support, constructive criticisms and most importantly for your love and understanding.
Samuel Oluyinka Sogunro
Lagos State Polytechnic
- Posted in: Uncategorized